2016-2017 (current school year)


Monthly school tours are available one Monday morning per month from 9-10:30 a.m. beginning in October.  School tour dates for the 2016 - 2017 school year are as follows: Oct. 17, Nov. 14, Dec. 12, Jan. 9, Feb. 6, March 13 and May 8.  Beginning October 1st, please contact Sally Mason, our Parent Coordinator, at 212-734-7127, ext. 5 or, detailing your name (and how it is spelled), your address, your phone number and that of any other person accompanying you on the tour, to make a reservation (50 people maximum per tour).  



Children born in 2011 are eligible for Kindergarten beginning in September 2016.  Any new ZONED K-5 students enrolling for the current 2016-2017 school year should come in to register as soon as you are living in our zone by following the same instructions detailed below for families registering for kindergarten in the fall. 


Registration Instructions for Kindergarten & Pre-K and Grades 1-5 for Fall 2017 

9 a.m. – 11 a.m. School Days


Main Office – Room 204

What is my zoned school?

Please check the zone map below.  Your zoned school is determined by your official home address, not your place of employment.  If you live outside of the PS 290 zone, do not use the address of a family member, friend, or employer who lives in the zone.  We verify all addresses!  If you don’t know your zoned school, call 311. 


Proof of address must be provided when enrolling a student in school.  A telephone bill, credit card bill or medical insurance card, is not acceptable proof of address.

REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION- Please bring COPIES, in addition to originals, of ALL required enrollment documents

Two (2) of the following ORIGINAL documents, each of which must state the home address, and A COPY OF EACH for our records, are required to prove that your primary residence is in the P.S. 290 school zone: Proof of address may be verified by any two of the following:

  1. a lease agreement, deed or mortgage statement for the residence;
  2. a residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name issued by a utility company (e.g., National Grid or Con Edison); must be dated within the past 60 days;
  3. a bill for cable television services provided to the residence; must include the name of the parent and the address of the residence and be dated within the past 60 days;
  4. documentation or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency, including the IRS, the City Housing Authority, the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement, the Human Resources Administration, or the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), or an ACS subcontractor, indicating the resident’s name and address; must be dated within the past 60 days (letter from NYC DOE is not accepted);
  5. a current property tax bill for the residence;
  6. a water bill for the residence; must be dated within the past 90 days;
  7. rent receipt which includes the address of residence; must be dated within the past 60 days;
  8. State, city, or other government issued identification (including an IDNYC card), which has not expired and includes the address of residence;
  9. income tax form for the last calendar year;
  10. official NYS Driver’s License or learner’s permit, which has not expired;
  11. official payroll documentation from an employer issued within the past 60 days such as a pay stub with home address, a form submitted for tax withholding purposes or payroll receipt (a letter on the employer’s letterhead is not adequate); must include home address and be dated within the past 60 days;
  12. voter registration documents, which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
  13. unexpired membership documents based upon residency (e.g., neighborhood residents’ association), which include the name of the parent and the address of residence;
  14. evidence of custody of the child, including but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers; documents must have been issued within the past 60 days and include name of student and address of residence.

In addition to two (2) acceptable proofs of address, what else do I need to bring with my completed application?

  • The ORIGINAL AND A COPY of your child’s birth certificate or passport;
  • A COPY for our records of your child’s immunization history;
  • ORIGINAL AND A COPY of Offer Letter from NYC DOE for Kindergarten and Pre-k Enrollees
  • If applicable, A COPY for our records of your child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan.